Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Hawaii Or Bust. Seriously.


I had the worst weekend of my life.

I was helping Daniel move furniture on Friday so he could paint our bedroom. We have an Asian hardwood bed that weighs 4000 pounds and we had to scoot it out from the wall. On carpet. It seemed to go just fine. Until Saturday morning when I couldn't move my neck.

But I still had a party to prepare for. 53 people would be at my house 3:00 the following day.

Daniel's ex decided she wanted to go camping on Saturday and Sunday. And Mackenzie, apparently, wasn't welcome to join her. (this after she left her to go to South Dakota over Mother's Day weekend). So not only do we have a party to prepare for, but now I have a neck injury and an 11 year old to entertain. And a bedroom to put back together. And a house to clean.

It gets done. I have no idea how. My neck gets worse and worse. Sunday I wake up and it feels like it will snap off my head. And Mackenzie says, "Jacci, I haven't seen Cougie since last night." I reply, "Don't worry, kenz. He's probably sleeping someplace. It's been a busy weekend for all of us!". Hours go by, I have her busy searching the house for him. He never shows up. His bowl is untouched. Eventually we realize that he's gone. Gone. And no one can figure out how.

People start arriving. The house fills up. We go through 8 slabs of ribs, 60 sausages and 6 pounds of shredded chicken for tacos. Still no cat and no amount of booze will fix the pain in my neck.

Have I mentioned my Mom is there? My crazy mom who keeps offering me Xanax and pain pills which of course I decline.

Monday morning, my house is a wreck. My neck is even worse. Daniel cleans up the outside, I clean the inside. My Mom tries to help but she does everything wrong because I'm just in one of those moods. I have muddy foot prints all over my carpet. Still no cat.

Daniel takes Kenzie for breakfast and to return the keg, and eventually home. I decide I have to do something about my neck. I send my Mom home, go to the ER by myself. I'm diagnosed with a cervical strain, which is way better than I thought it would be. I have muscle relaxers and pain pills. Legally prescribed, Mom. Thank you very much. I get my pills and go home. All they do is make sick to my stomach.

We make fliers, canvas the neighborhoods, and search the humane society website. Still no cat. We are absolutely devastated.

I can't wait to get away to Hawaii. I started packing today at 6:00 AM. We can check-in in less than 24 hours.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG - Jacci! You are a superstar for having made it through. And certainly the cat will show up. I hope you can share the prescribed meds with your partner in crime!!

HAVE SO MUCH FUN!

summer said...

princess! i had no idea your weekend was so sucky. thank you for taking the time out to let me talk myself into buying the go-go dress.

john cougar mellancat will return. he simply didn't want to deal with the dramz involving your mom and the party and the furniture. he probably thought you were moving again and he was having none of it.

i will buy you a bloody mary with your breakfast at o'hare....and maybe you'll have a pill left over that will put you to sleep on the flight.

right now in 48 hours you will have a drink with an umbrella and an ocean view.....

meditate on THAT!